Good Morning my name is Jeremiah. I am 11 yrs old and I attend University View Academy. It is my pleasure to serve as your
The Force for Health® Launches
to Advance the Dream
Focused on Minority Health Disparities and Action
The Force for Health® Network has spent the past year working with select Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Chapters across the Southwest and western region, for a new, custom-built, national health, civics and STEAM-based program call Advance the Dream, and are now opening it up for everybody.
Our objectives include:
- Help sustain the DREAM, legacy and impacts that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. made in this world
- Promote happier and healthier citizenship for communities that care
- Build fellowship and leadership skills while creating community impacts on issues important to its mission
- Involve participants in creating digital media and content to better prepare for an information technology based workforce
- Impact minority health disparities and outcomes within a single generation
- Increase pathways for participants into community health worker pipeline opportunities
- Promote intergenerational mentorship opportunities
- Promote fun and healthy competition by gamifying and rewarding healthy citizenship engagement outcomes
- Create new, sustainable, and “easy to execute” campaigns that will generate new revenue streams
Main Contact: Josh Williams, National Project Director
Programs Offered: 12 week programs – March 1 – April 30, 2022
We all can be the FORCE for CHANGE...
but it starts with owning your own health now,
then working with others to challenge the inequities
that are affecting health outcomes for ALL Americans
Snapshot of Current Health Disparities
Recently, there has been uptick of younger (35 – 49 yrs) African Americans getting sick from diseases that are more prevalent in older age group (50-64 yrs), which is worth concern and call to action now. Yes, individual decisions play a large role, but so do the Social Determinants of Health, so it will take a highly coordinated and collaborative approach to educate our citizens and civic leaders to this alarming trend to start reversing this rate back down as quickly as possible.
Did you know?
African Americans are at highest risk for the top 5 health conditions that cause sickness and even death, starting with babies…
As babies – Infant mortality rates are 2.5 times higher than all other races, regardless of income ( https://www.usnews.com/news/healthiest-communities/articles/2019-08-01/black-babies-at-highest-risk-of-infant-mortality
Stroke – Risk of having a first stroke is nearly twice as high for African Americans as for white Caucasians, and African Americans have the highest rate of death due to stroke (source: https://www.cdc.gov/stroke/facts.htm)
Diabetes – African American have the second highest diabetes rates, behind Native Americans and Pacific Islanders
Heart Disease – More than twice as likely to die from heart disease than other whites and hispanics
Cancer – African Americans are have highest incident rates of lung and prostate cancer, along with the highest death rates, adding breast cancer death rates, as wellcauses
You DO Matter invites LA State Senator Patrick Jefferson to their STEAM2 TEAM to for some Health and CIVICS tips amongst CO-VID
You DO Matter STEAM2 TEAM member, Lance Moham, welcomes State Senator Patrick Jefferson to their group called You DO Matter, to talk about his role
My name is Micah and I attended the 2020 You DO Matter Virtual STEAM² Camp and learned about different type of tools and technologies that
wear a mask when ever you go somewhere to protect yourself and others.
Dr. Tymwa Dixon, MD is a Family Medicine Specialist in Shreveport, LA and has over 23 years of experience in the medical field. He graduated from LA STATE UNIV SCH OF MED IN SHREVEPORT medical school in 1997. He is affiliated with medical facilities Willis-Knighton Medical Center and WK Bossier Health Center.
Take the first step to Advance the DREAM
Increase our Knowledge about African American History & the Social Determinants of Health
This video series challenge features student produced videos, working alongside national mentors and thought leaders.
Force for Health® Intern Projects to Demonstrate Why This May Be the Case
The goals of the program will be:
- Challenge participants to be proactive about their own health now, with access to free resources and health tracking tools
- Connect interested participants with community learning and impact engagement projects designed to build leadership and management skills, and add to their resume or portfolio of deliverables
- Incentivize engagement by gamifying activities into a Healthy LEAGUE Challenge, with an opportunity for prizes and recognition within the Force for Health® Network
- Increase access and exposure to multiple health and science-based population health and impact based professional pipeline development
- Create measurable impacts and health outcomes collaboratively
- Develop a new, sustainable revenue stream that is easy and fun to execute
- Help build a replicable and scalable model that can grow into a National Program, then shared with other Divine Nine members who want to follow