Group Leader or Teacher Sample Lesson Plan
Lesson Plan for 17 UN Sustainable Goals
Learning Objective: Students will understand and implement the 17 UN Sustainable Goals in their own life.
Materials Needed: Chalkboard, whiteboard, markers, Post-It notes, computer and projector if available
Activities: Please reinforce to the students that all learning, posting, and Note taking activities earn them and the class and the region, points in the Reality Health Games. Make sure they realize they are part of a generation world wide that is starting to be the leaders to help think of how to solve these issues and go into careers that can make a difference with them. This is REAL HEALTH, and as such, it is worth 1000 points in the Reality Health Games to earn the badge.
- Group Discussion for Each Goal. Allow 30 minutes for each goal.
- Begin the lesson by introducing students to the 17 UN Sustainable Goals (UNSDG). Explain what they are and why they’re important.
- Divide the class into groups of 3-4 people and assign each group a goal to research further. Provide questions to guide their research. For example, “What actions can we take to achieve this goal?” or “How have others around the world achieved this goal?”
- Allow each group 10 minutes to present their findings on their assigned goal to the rest of the class. Encourage each group to come up with creative ways of presenting their findings (such as skits or drawings).
2. Personal Goals and Presentations:
- Have each student then choose one of the goals that resonated with them personally and create a plan of action for how they could help achieve it in their own life. It could be something big such as starting a fundraiser or small such as adapting one’s habits or lifestyle changes that would benefit achieving that goal in some way!
- End the lesson by having each student present their individual plan to the rest of the class, encouraging open dialogue and discussion about how everyone can help contribute towards achieving these goals.
Homework Assignment Ideas:
- Have students write an essay explaining how implementing one of the UN Sustainable Goals is important for creating a more sustainable future for all people around the world.
- Have students review each goal and make a note in the “Notes” section of each lesson of one idea or action the could or have taken locally. Have them create a report or presentation of how they are acting locally to help globally
- Encourage creation of a STEAM TEAM to do a longer and more in depth project as part of the Reality Health Games competition.
You may wish to use this with your students as a template for them to make a presentation using their free account in Canva.