Latinos face a variety of inequities that contribute to poor health, including disproportionate rates of police brutality, homelessness, and financial hardship.
These inequities are rooted in racially biased systems and structures that foster the unequal treatment of Latinos and other people of color.
News institutions play a powerful role in shaping conversations around racial/ethnic equity, but representation of Latinos in news coverage on this topic is disproportionately low.
Let’s use #SaludTues on Tuesday, April 4, 2023, to discuss the underrepresentation of Latinos in racial/ethnic equity news coverage and how to best showcase contributions, challenges, and needs of Latino communities among policymakers, racial equity advocates, and the general public.
WHAT: #SaludTues Tweetchat: Are Latinos Fairly Represented in Racial Equity News?
- TIME/DATE: 1-2 p.m. ET (Noon-1 p.m. CT), Tuesday, April 4, 2023
- WHERE: On Twitter with hashtag #SaludTues
- HOST: @SaludAmerica
- CO-HOSTS: @BMSG, @WeAreUnidosUS, @DulceMariaMPH, @latinxvocesllc, @PublicHealthMap
- HASHTAG: #SaludTues
We’ll open the floor to your comments, tips, and stories as we explore:
- In what ways does systemic racism and discrimination shape inequities in Latino communities?
- What is the importance of studying the context of and frequency of racial equity issues in the news?
- What are the implications of Latinos being underrepresented in racial equity news?
Be sure to use the hashtag #SaludTues to follow the conversation on Twitter and share your strategies, stories, and resources to explore Latino representation in racial equity news!
#SaludTues is a monthly health equity tweetchat focused on health equity and the Latino population at 12p CT/1p ET on the first Tuesday of each month. #SaludTues is hosted by the @SaludAmerica program at the Institute for Health Promotion Research at UT Health San Antonio.
The post #SaludTues Tweetchat 4/4: Are Latinos Fairly Represented in Racial Equity News? appeared first on Salud America.Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in