Sadly, food insecurity ─ being without reliable access to a sufficient quantity of nutritious food ─ is common in the United States.
This is especially true for Latinos and other people of color. U.S. Latino and Black households are more likely to suffer food insecurity (16.2% and 21.2%, respectively), than the national average (11.1%), according to USDA data, Salud America! reports.
COVID-19 is making the situation worse, too.
Let’s use #SaludTues on Tuesday, June 1, 2021, to discuss emerging strategies to reduce fod insecurity and improve healthy food access for Latinos and all people during and beyond the pandemic!
- WHAT: #SaludTues Tweetchat: Strategies to Address Food Insecurity
- TIME/DATE: 1-2 p.m. ET (Noon-1 p.m. CT), Tuesday, June 1, 2021
- WHERE: On Twitter with hashtag #SaludTues
- HOST: @SaludAmerica
- CO-HOSTS: UnidosUS (@WeAreUnidosUS), Public Health Maps (@PublicHealthMap); Latinx Voces en Salud Campaign (@VocesenSalud); the U.S. Office of Minority Health (@MinorityHealth); Center for Science in the Public Interest (@CSPI); Urban School Food Alliance (@urbanschoolfood); Gretchen Swanson Center for Nutrition (@GretchenSwanson)
- SPECIAL GUEST PARTICIPANTS: The Praxis Project (@Praxis_Project); Cecilia Gonzalez, Food, Agriculture and Nutrition Integrator (@Cecilia_AgNut)
- HASHTAG: #SaludTues #FoodInsecurity #HealthyFoodAccess
We’ll open the floor to your comments, tips, and stories as we explore:
- How food-insecure are Latinos?
- What ways can federal, community, and school leaders do to reduce food insecurity?
- Who are the heroes that are improving healthy food access?
Be sure to use the hashtag #SaludTues to follow the conversation on Twitter and share your strategies, stories, and resources to explore how to reduce food insecurity for Latinos and all people!
#SaludTues is a monthly health equity tweetchat focused on health equity and the Latino population at 12p CT/1p ET on the first Tuesday of each month. #SaludTues is hosted by the @SaludAmerica program at the Institute for Health Promotion Research at UT Health San Antonio.
The post #SaludTues Tweetchat 6/1: Strategies to Address Food Insecurity appeared first on Salud America.Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in