Many Americans face transportation barriers that threaten quality of life.
When burdened by transportation costs and lack of safe, feasible options, families are forced to make tradeoffs, such as foregoing spending on food and medications or skipping trips to essential destinations such as medical care, the grocery store, workforce development, and other resources, and services.
Inadequate transportation not only contributes to inequities in health but also contributes to inequities in social and economic outcomes which exacerbate inequities in health.
To reduce inequities and improve overall health, we need both individual-level and community-level strategies to mitigate the symptoms and consequences of inadequate transportation.
Let’s use #SaludTues on October 3, 2023, to tweet about how inadequate transportation impacts health and what we can do about it.
- WHAT: #SaludTues Tweetchat: “Addressing Inadequate Transportation to Improve Health”
- TIME/DATE: 1-2 p.m. ET Tuesday, Oct. 3, 2023
- WHERE: On Twitter with hashtag #SaludTues
- HOST: @SaludAmerica
- CO-HOSTS: National Rural Transit Assistance Program (@nat_rtap); Social Interventions Research & Evaluation Network at UCSF (@SIREN_UCSF); Shared Use Mobility Center (@SharedUseCenter); National Aging and Disability Transportation Center (@NADTCmobility)
- OPTIONAL HASHTAGS: #SDOH
- SALUDAMERICA! BLOG POST: bit.ly/45MWpuR
We’ll open the floor to science, your experiences and stories, and best practices as we explore:
- How inadequate transportation impacts access to medical care and overall health;
- Individual-level strategies to address inadequate transportation; and
- Community-level strategies to address inadequate transportation.
Use #SaludTues to follow the conversation and share the latest in how transportation is connected to health.
#SaludTues is a weekly Tweetchat about Latino health at 12p CST/1p ET every Tuesday and hosted by @SaludAmerica, the Latino health social media campaign for the team at the Institute for Health Promotion Research (IHPR) at The University of Texas Health, San Antonio.
The post #SaludTues 10/3/2023: Addressing Inadequate Transportation to Improve Health appeared first on Salud America.Recommend0 recommendationsPublished in