Description: Pharmacists dispense prescription medications to patients and provide expertise in the safe use of drugs.
- Fill prescriptions and verify physician instructions
- Analyze for possible drug interactions that a patient might experience
- Inform patients about the side effects of medications
- Oversee Pharmacy Technicians and trainees
- Collaborate with insurance companies
Interested in becoming a Pharmacist? Click here for more information.
- Coursework in chemistry, biology, and physics (some programs require a bachelor’s degree)
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D) degree
- Licensing exams: North American Pharmacist Licensure Exam (NAPLEX) and Multidisciplinary Pharmacy Jurisprudence Exam (MPJE)
- Completion of an internship
Work Environment: Pharmacies, Drug Stores, Hospitals
Salary: $116,200 (Annual Mean Wage in Pennsylvania)
Job Outlook: Expected to increase 6% between 2016 and 2026