Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and Paramedic
Description: EMTs and Paramedics respond quickly to emergencies and care for sick and injured people while transporting them to a hospital.
- Respond to 911 calls
- Assess patients condition
- Determine/Provide treatment
- Transport patient to hospital by ambulance
- Report/Document observations
Interested in becoming an EMT or Paramedic? Click here for more information.
- Requires high school diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of an EMT nondegree award program (usually anywhere from a few months up to two years in length).
- Must pass NREMT exam to become certified.
- Requires high school diploma or equivalent and EMT certification.
- Completion of paramedical training program (much longer than EMT program and may result in an associate’s or bachelor’s degree).
- Pass the state licensing exam.
Salary: $33,980 (Annual Mean Wage for Pennsylvania)
Work Environment: Ambulance, Scene of Emergency
Job Outlook: Expected to increase by 15% from 2016 to 2026