Disease Prevention and Health Promotion
Why is exercising important?
Millions of Americans suffer from chronic illnesses that can be either prevented or improved through physical activity. Exercising works on the three different areas of fitness that you learned about in the last lesson, and it helps preserve the overall health.
Look at the diagram below and point out the different areas of the body that you want to work on improving.
Let's do a quick review!
- Increases muscle tone and strength
- Increases efficiency of the respiratory and circulatory systems
- Increases energy level
- Improves blood pressure
- Improves bone mineral density and reduces risk of osteoporosis
- Improves posture and metabolism
- Improves self-esteem and self-confidence
- Decreases susceptibility to injuries and illness
- Decreases risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke
- Decreases risk of diabetes and some cancers (i.e. colon cancer)
- Decreases body fat